I would like to muscle-test your tolerance for antibiotics the dentist might prescribe for you. It is possible to avoid allergic reactions and general gut intolerance this way. This will only be a recommendation that you can take to the dentist; the decision is his or hers.
During the week before surgery, shop for and prepare foods which are both nutrient dense, and soft and easy to swallow while your mouth is sore.
Here are some examples:
- Coconut milk egg nog
- Homemade gelatin from pure juice
- Bone broths
- Bone broth soups: veggies and brown rice and meat can be pureed at the start
- Mashed potatoes made with coconut milk, cheeses (when allowed), and even baked with egg into a soufflé dish
- Soufflés, with or without cheese
- Pureed frozen fruits – make a sorbet type pudding
- Meatloaf or meatballs
- Mashed cauliflower with butter and coconut milk
- Broccoli casserole: baked with egg, onion, cheese (if allowed), and well-mashed broccoli
- Fine ground breakfast meats to mix with scrambled egg
- Mineral Water, such as Apollinaris or Pellegrino
Supplements to purchase and have on hand for post-surgery are:
- Cyruta Plus contains bioflavanoids and adrenal cytosol for inflammation and bleeding control, and rebuilds the collagen structure of bone and teeth. Cyruta Plus is usually tolerated well on an empty stomach. Please take two per hour immediately following surgery for the first 24 hours. Thereafter, take two tabs 4x/day for two weeks.
- Calcium Lactate is a bioavailable form of calcium for infection fighting in the blood, pain modulation, as well as easy deposition into bone as needed. It is usually tolerated well on empty stomach. Please take three per hour immediately following surgery for the first 24 hours. Thereafter, take three tabs 4x/day for two weeks.
For the first day or two following surgery, you may need to reduce your regular supplement protocol due to gut responses to surgery. Please maintain any thyroid support and digestive enzymes during this time, and return to your regular protocol as soon as you are able.
Add the following nutrients when gut tolerance is optimal:
- L-Arginine, a precursor to nitric oxide production, is a healing facilitator. Take 2000 mg in the a.m. and 1000 mg in the evening, or Biotics TomKat for nitric oxide boost
- Potassium (K-Zyme) is an alkalizing agent for bone repair. Take 99 mg 3x/day
- Cod liver oil contains Vitamins A, D and F for bone regrowth factors. Take the equivalent of 10,000 iu of Vit. A and 1000 iu of Vit. D
- Probiotic as directed
Adjust your TMJ (jaw joint) by massaging and pulling down on it. With your open palms, gently but tightly squeeze your lower (mandible) jawbone just below the joint by your ear, and pull down toward your chin. This will help release tension and locking after having your mouth open for so long. If it is painful, place a cayenne pepper pack over each joint (directions on website) or use capsaicin cream on the area.
Rinsing with Epsom salts dissolved in warm water can relieve post-surgical pain.