According to Ayurvedic medicine, mucus is a poison that must be removed. Oil pulls mucus, bacteria and toxins from your body through your saliva. In India, where oil-pulling originated, only two types of oil are used: sesame and safflower. However, people are experimenting with different oils, adding anti-bacterial and anti-viral oil essences. I have had good luck with liquid coconut oil, for example.
Here is the correct way to oil-pull:
- First thing in the morning, before brushing your teeth, eating or drinking, take one (1) Tbsp of either sesame, sunflower, or liquid coconut oil, and put it in your mouth.
- Tilt your chin up and slowly swish, suck, chomp and pull through the teeth. Do this for at least ten minutes. Fifteen to twenty minutes is better.
- Do not gargle. The oil is meant to be swished in the mouth only, and do it slowly.
- You want the oil to become a thin, white foam when you finally spit it out. If it’s still yellow (if that is the original color of the oil), you haven’t done it long enough.
- If the volume of oil and saliva begins to induce a gag reflex before your have been pulling long enough, spit it out and start again with fresh oil.
- Do not swallow the oil. It now contains parasites and bacteria! Spit it out in the toilet when you are finished and rinse your mouth out well.
- Follow by drinking two to three glasses of water.
- You can do this two more times during the day if you want to detox faster. Make sure you do it on an empty stomach, however.
A few things to know:
- Keeping the chin tilted up makes sure the oil gets to the back molars.
- After meals, wait at least four hours before you oil-pull. After drinking, wait one hour.
- A worsening of symptoms is an excellent indication that the disease or ailment is being cured.
- Do not stop oil-pulling if you feel aggravated symptoms or heightened side effects after a day or two. Your body is healing.
- Will your dental fillings fall out? It’s highly unlikely unless there is pre-existing damage or loose fillings.
- The oil will start to thin out after a few minutes because saliva is constantly being mixed in with the oil as it swishes through your mouth.