The liver is one of the most important organs in the human body. The largest glandular structure in the body, it performs multiple functions. It manufactures hormones and blood protein. It creates the clotting mechanism for the blood and filters the blood. It manufactures, stores and secretes vitamins and other nutrients. It also manufactures bile, which is stored in the gall bladder. Bile helps the body break down and digest fats.
This overnight flush improves the immune system by detoxifying the liver and gall bladder, and acts as a powerful rejuvenator. This helps to restore the normal function of these two organs by flushing out stones from the gall bladder and hepatic duct.
Many people with stones do not realize they have them. Caution: This flush is not recommended for diagnosed conditions of large stones.
- Epsom salts (any pharmacy)
- 4 lemons (organic and fresh are best)
- Orange or grapefruit juice (fresh squeezed is best; juice is optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Water-proof salve (e.g., Vaseline, A&D Ointment)
- Cholacol II (a clay-based supplement, which you can purchase at Mountain Centre)
- Noon: Eat a normal lunch.
- Three hours later: Take one tablespoon of Epsom salts dissolved in 1⁄4 cup warm water. The salts are laxative, and create peristalsis of the lower bowel, causing loose bowels and eventually watery stools. This will be very bitter. Plug your nose and swallow fresh water or juice immediately after to mitigate the taste.
- Two hours later: Take one more Tbsp of dissolved Epsom salts, as above.
- Dinner: Drink citrus juice, broth, or tea for the meal. No solid food. It is important to stay hydrated with electrolyte-rich fluids.
- Bedtime: Drink ½ cup of warm, unrefined olive oil blended with ½ cup of lemon juice. Go to bed immediately. Lie on your right side with your knees pulled up to your chest for thirty minutes, which helps to open the bile ducts.
- Next morning: One hour before breakfast, take one Tbsp of Epsom Salt dissolved in ¼ cup of warm water.
- Breakfast: Resume your normal diet and any nutritional protocol prescribed for you. It can be helpful to eat lightly today, and eat cooked foods rather than raw. Soups and stews are optimal, as are light proteins such as eggs or fish.
- Six hours after the last dose of Epsom salts: Take five (5) Cholacol II on an empty stomach with plenty of water. Repeat this twice today.
- For the week: Continue taking five Cholacol II on an empty stomach in the morning, and five at bed, for one week. This provides clay to adsorb* toxins, and bile salts to digest organic wastes that your liver is dumping, as well as Collinsonia root to support return of normal peristalsis of the bowel.
(*adsorb is the correct spelling for this action, which in this case means the clay holds the toxins in a separate film on its surface, rather than dissolving the toxins into itself, as in absorb.)
The flushing of the liver and gall bladder stimulates and cleanses these organs as no other method can do. When the liver works well, the whole body usually functions well.
Occasionally, people who do the flush report slight to moderate nausea from the olive oil/lemon juice combination. This nausea will slowly disappear by the time you go to sleep. Gently massaging deeply under the right rib cage toward the liver can mitigate this nausea. Pressing your thumb gently, deeply into the belly button can also mitigate feelings of discomfort. If the olive oil induces vomiting, you need not repeat the procedure at this time (this occurs only in rare instances).
People who have suffered from gallstones or chronic biliousness, backaches, or nausea, may find small gallstones in the stool the following day. These stones may be light green to dark green in color. They are irregular in shape and vary in size from that of grape seeds to cherry seeds. If there seems to be a large number of these stones in the stool, the liver flush should be repeated in two weeks.
Remember, you need not take time off work to do this highly important self-treatment. Simply devote a Saturday or Sunday to this flush. No fasting is required.
Notes on what to expect:
- As soon as you take your first dose of Epsom salts, put some waterproof salve on your anus to protect it from irritation. Repeat this after each bowel movement. If you are having diarrhea already before the 2nd dose of Epsom salts, skip the 2nd dose.
- The evening of the flush, after you have had two doses of Epsom Salts, you should have several bowel movements. These movements could be very loose, so you will want to stay home and be near a bathroom. If you are very low in magnesium systemically, you may not have a lot of movement at this point.
- Be sure to continue drinking liquids throughout the evening, to prevent dehydration. Don’t drink extra liquids 15 minutes before or after epsom salts, though.
- Blend the oil and lemon in a mug using a wire whip spun between your hands. Repeat this occasionally so the lemon doesn’t settle. Plug your nose and go slowly when drinking the mixture.
- Occasionally a person has bowel movements in the night, but not usually. Be sure to watch for stones in the toilet with bowel movements in the morning. If you didn’t have much bowel movement during the previous evening or night, take the first one Tbsp recommended dose of Epsom salts in the morning, wait one hour, and take ½ Tbsp more. Wait one hour before eating.
- Often people will feel lighter and rejuvenated following this treatment, but it is also possible to feel tired. The liver has just been through a lot and will want to recharge. Don’t have big plans for this day, and eat lightly. The fatigue and loose bowels could last a few days.
- Do not take supplements for the skipped evening meal; but you may resume them at breakfast, if you like.