Lois Lang’s Luscious Bread
Excerpted from: Breaking the Vicious Cycle, by Elaine Gottschall (see more recipes in this book)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place eggs, melted butter, cottage cheese, baking soda, and salt in food processor using metal blade; process until mixture is thick and resembles butter in texture.
- Move this mixture to a large mixer bowl. Add almond flour/meal and blend well.
- Grease a loaf pan generously with butter or coconut oil and coat bottom with almond meal.
- Press dough into pan, being careful to eliminate all air pockets.
- Bake for about 1 hour until lightly browned on top. There will be a crack on the top of the loaf. Check by inserting a metal kitchen knife; it will come out clean when bread is done. Though the bread will smell irresistible, don’t cut into it while piping hot! It needs to cool down a bit to firm up.
After the bread is completely cooled, you can cut it into thin slices. Place waxed paper between the slices and freeze.
Almond Flour Muffins
- Preheat your oven to 375 ̊
- In mixer, blend all ingredients.
- Spoon batter into cupcake tins filling about 1⁄2 full.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until muffins spring back when pressed.
These are delicious as is, but you can flavor with these variations:
- Add 1/3 cup raisins or currants.
- Add juice of one orange and some grated orange rind.
- Add grated orange rind and chopped dried fruit cut into small pieces, about 1⁄2 c. of: apricot, sun dried pineapple, apple, or pear.
- Add 1-2 tsp. of grated orange rind and 1⁄2 tsp almond extract.
- Add one more egg and two mashed extra-ripe bananas to batter.
- Substitute dried, unsweetened grated coconut for part of the nut flour.
- Stir in gently 1⁄2-3⁄4 c. fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Pati’s favorite: use 2 eggs instead of 3, and add 1⁄2 c. applesauce, 1⁄2 c. cranberries, 1 tsp cinnamon, then sprinkle top of batter with coconut and crushed macadamia nuts.
- Pati’s #2 favorite: add 1⁄2 tsp nutmeg + 1⁄2 c. small blueberries.
- Preheat oven to 350 ̊
- Mix flour, butter, honey, and zucchini.
- Add beaten eggs, cinnamon, salt, and soda, and blend well.
- Bake in greased muffin tins for 20 minutes.
Peanut Butter Cookies
- Preheat oven to 325 ̊.
- Cream butter until soft.
- Add peanut butter and mix thoroughly.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend well.
- Drop on greased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 ̊.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Drop by large tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Press flat with a buttered fork.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 ̊
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a bowl, set aside.
- Mix egg, butter, honey and vanilla in mixer.
- Add pumpkin or squash and blend thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients and blend well.
- Mix or stir in raisins.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes until lightly browned.